Monday, August 27, 2012

Weekend Feast, Lil India

Once again, we've hit the weekend end - Sunday before bracing the week with Monday, again - and the old man has decided to bring me to lil India for breakfast. Actually, he has been talking about wanting to head down 2 weeks back but because of my sick bug, I kept holding it back.

I've been to Lil India a couple of times, but have never sat down to dine. Really glad my father introduced this stall to me because the food is good and price is really reasonable. The stall owners are from Pakistan hence they're fairer and the accent is not as tongue rolling as the Indians from India(?).

Head down to the Tekka Hawker Centre - it's the only hawker centre there, along the main rd - and walk straight into the midst of all the stalls. You'll see lots of malay and indian stalls selling really mouthwatering food in huge amounts and of course, there are a few selections of chinese stalls.

This was our breakfast. A total of 9 Nanns, 2 curry, 1 Tanduri chicken at $25 for 5 people which averages out to be only $5/person and you get to have your carbs,  protein and fats (:  I was so full I nearly puked. That aside, we also ordered 4 Teh Tarik and 1 Coffee Chino.

The chicken curry had relatively huge chicken meat which was really fresh, and the mutton curry had lots of meat! Tanduri chicken though may look dry, but seriously, looks are deceiving. It was tender and juicy! I wrap the nann ard it, like a wrap. The Plain Nann (bottom pic) had a tinge of saltiness to it while the buttered (top left) was well, to me it just looked oily and I only had a bit of it. Not one of my favourite - butter stuff. Do try their garlic nann (top right) because it was really good and tasty but not too overwhelming.

This is the stall where we ordered from. The buttered chicken wasn't ready when we arrived there - about 9+am? Sad. Really wanted to try it. Next time perhaps? It faces the other side of the hawker, mainly the 'chinese stalls' and it's neighbour is one long queueing prata shop. Won't be hard to find where.


Besides eating at Lil India, the old man also brought us ard the vicinity for a walk. So many green vegetables and spices to look at. Felt like a tourist!


Look at the greens.. oh gosh! 


A really old tree. They say such trees with the 'hairs' have spirits living in there or something along those lines. 

When in Lil India, don't forget to get yourself a Henna! It's a temporary tattoo. 

In the Indian culture, they do it on the hands, foot and on the spot in between your brows. But in the modernised world, I now see people doing henna on their backs, side of their neck etc which is also really cool IMO. I don't know what's the purpose of the henna except beautifying? but I really like it and have been getting henna once in awhile. Prices can range from $5 - $15 depending on the complexity of the pattern/design. Of course, the more traditional patterns are more expensive to do because it takes a longer time for the artist to draw it out. When the henna paste hardens, be sure to leave it on for at least 2 - 3 hrs before washing off and though at first, it may seem like its very light in colour, fear not, the colour will darken by the hour. Really like my design and I can't stop looking at my feet. HAHAHA. 



This was the stall I visited, in the building directly opposite the hawker centre and they have lots of designs! like 4 files of it! Decided to do on my foot and this pattern cost $10. Too expensive? Think it this way, henna tattoo last for a week and well, it's really a cultural thing so if you wanna basked in the Indian culture, just try it! Afterall, it's temporary - fades off within a week or so. 



I really enjoyed the time spent in Lil India though it was only a mere few hrs. I ate, walked, smelled spices and did henna, all together with my family.  What an experience! Nowadays, we hardly spend time with our family so why don't you use this chance and have a family get together?

Side note, it'll be better to visit Lil India in the day during the weekends because in the night, it's where all the workers will hang out and you'll be overwhelmed by them. Lil India is Orchard rd to them. 

Have a great week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment