Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review on Hatched @ Evans Rd

Evans Rd's opening hrs:
Tues - Sun 8am to 6pm

Holland Village's opening hrs:
Tues - Sun 9am to 11pm

*
Finally tried the over-rated Brunch hangout, Hatched, with a group of 7 friends. We made a reservation at 10am and was given the long table near the windows. This is the view we had turning to our left, the bar counter. Have to say that the service was good until one of the ladies serving us rolled her eyes at my friend  because she asked to refill her water bottle. Note that my friend asked politely. Seriously? I would have dig out her eyes if she had rolled her eyes at me instead. Such attitude. Just so you know, the roller is in black top and khaki pants. Yes, the one you're seeing on the picture and she just happen to be in the picture when i first took it prior to the incident. Such coincidence!

Now let's talk about the breakfast that we had. Hatched is actually a Breakfast/Brunch place that mainly deals with eggs in different style of cooking it. From poached to scrambled to baked etc.

See this thick slab of bacon with a layer of fats? This is the Sunnies on a Pig, SGD 18. Thick bacon slab in ciabatta sandwich served /w sunny side up and 2 sides, mashed and veg. I tried the bacon, it was a lil tough probably due to the thick slab and the boyf. said he had meat stuck in his teeth and start picking it out. Groossss! Taste wise, he said was pretty good. 

Next up, the poaches w different sides along. We had the Sir Benedict, Burly Benedic and the Smoked Royale. You can choose to have 1 or 2 servings of poached, at different price, SGD 12 or SGD 18. Being a huge eaters, my friends and I, we all went for 2 servings. Likewise, the poached came with mashed and veg.

This is the Sir Benedict, English muffins, bacon, hollandaise sauce and of course, the poaches. Love the bacon ! It was ok but I rather the yolk to be less runny and thicker. My portion of Hollandaise sauce was little though. I like it plenty! Overall, it was satisfying. 

 This is the Burly Benedict, English muffin, corned beef, mornay sauce, veg, sauteed potatoes w poached eggs. Tried the mornay sauce, didn't really like it. My friend licked the plate clean so I guess it must be good. Portion was really huge and the corned beef was in a generous heap.

I didn't managed to capture a picture of the Smoked Royale because the eater was wolfing it down fast before I could even stop her. But in any case, it's basically like Sir benedict replacing the bacon with smoked salmon (:

Next and final dish is the El Chorizo, SGD 15. Scrambled eggs w chorizo suasages served with toast and mashed. Looks like sick man food to me. Tried the scrambled eggs and the sausages which was burgundy in colour (how cool, like Taiwan sausage) and it taste a little similar to Wild Honey's Tunisian - which I'll blog soon.

Overall, IMHO it is seriously over rated with almost everyone raving that it's good and all. The food portion, in comparison to Wild Honey is definitely smaller and prices are relatively similar and come to compare, Wild Honey has a wider selection of breakfast than Hatched - since their focus is on eggs only. Will not head back to Hatched soon again but if I would, I'll try their Pancakes w Bacon & Banana. Looks good!

PS, be careful of the Roller. HA!



No comments:

Post a Comment