Monday, September 10, 2012

Weekend Feast, Dim Sum

My mother always has this habit of ordering TOO much food everytime we dine together.
This time was no exception. The parents was talking alot about this dim sum stall that sells pretty good har gao (prawn dumpling) somewhere in AMK. So, being a prawn lover, I decided to tag along.

Stall that we visited.
We ordered, 4 Luo Mai Kai (Glutinous Rice w chicken chunks!). Bigger portion than what you usually get from the pre-made mai kai. Tasted different from the pre-made, and I prefer the pre-made one. This was also good though.

Then we had Braise pork belly with veg (mei cai).
 Didn't like the taste - tasted a lil diluted and was too oily - had the oil taste, yucks! But the pork belly was done pretty well and was in big serving.

A plate of pork ribs for the Old Man, his Must-Have.
Tasted pretty nice and the pork was tender! I actually ate 2 pieces of pork. Don't usually take this dish when I eat Dim Sum.

Next, we also had Yam and Carrot Cake.

Both was delicious! Parents found the fried carrot cake was overly done but IMO, I actually like the crispiness of it. And of course, whenever you have dim sum, you'll definitely order this 2 dishes without fail, Siew Mai and Har Gao.

No porky taste which is very good because I can't stand siew mai with the porky taste. Will wash it down my throat with chilli sauce. There was a shrimp in it too. Nice!


Now, the Har Gao wasn't up to standard - even the parents say so. I'm very anal with my har gao. The skin has to be chewy soft but when served, the skin was alil on the tough side and the prawns have to be fresh, crunchy and juicy. In this case, though it was big, it wasn't fresh and succulent. I've tasted worse har gao so this was probably a 3.5/5?

I don't know if the parents will still patronise this stall in future after knowing the inconsistent standard of food but for me, I would probably not give it another shot, any time soon. Still a loyal fan of Tak Po in Chinatown.


That's all for the weekend feast! Go make a reservation at Red Star or Tak Po or any Dim Sum Eatery this weekend and have an awesome breakfast with the family! (:

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment